My boy recently turned 1 so I thought that this would be a good time to reflect on what I have learned during my last 11 months as a stay at home dad.
1. A little preparation goes a long way.
2. Lots of planning is for people who like to pretend they can predict what their baby will do.
3. Less time spent in the apartment is key if I want to stay sane (though some would argue the I never was).
4. My wife is the most amazing and supportive person I have ever met.
5. Sleep is for the weak.
6. The Boba 3G, Chico Liteway Stroller, and Diaper Dude diaper bag are essential every time I go out.
7. Taking care of a baby is simple but figuring out how to take care of myself is hard.
8. I am a diapering ninja.
9. Do not play children’s music by musicians who could never put out an album for adults.
10. My car is my castle.
11. Baby laughter is the best sound in the world.
12. I like babies.
13. I like to cook.
14. Dishes are an unrelenting stream of misery but when weighed against the best aspects of being a SAHD they don’t seems so bad.
15. Raising a child would be a lot easier if we had a bigger village to help.
16. I miss working with kids at the Y but not as much as I miss my son when I am away from him.
17. It is important to get away from time to time, even if its tough saying goodbye to my little man.
18. My friends are very important to my sanity.
19. Be careful what you wish for.
20. Blogging is harder than I thought it would be.
21. I see more of myself in my son every day.
22. Being a dad is tough/awesome/scary/humbling/tiring/life affirming and is the best job I’ve ever had!
Do you have something you would add to this list if you were writing it?